Friday, January 11, 2013

Alma 30-35

Some of you may know that I'm attending Brigham Young University this semester. I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and BYU is an LDS school. In my Book of Mormon 102 class, I've been asked to write a weekly forum on the topics we discuss in class and my readings. This is to help me better understand and comprehend our lessons, as well as help someone else who may be in need of some spiritual insights. I think this is a great method and I'm excited to share with you all the things I'm learning at BYU. So, here we go!

In class this week, we discussed Alma 30-35. I really enjoyed these chapters and I'm loving the concept of pre-reading before coming to class. Because I'm held accountable for whether or not I do the reading, I actually do it! Haha. It keeps me motivated to always read my scriptures and I find myself pulling them out anytime I have a free minute. It's really a good habit that I'm excited to get into.

I often realize while studying the scriptures just how blessed we are to have them. Brother Griffin's class is more like seminary, in that, instead of focusing on the historical, nitty gritty aspects, we are focusing on the spiritual principles and the things we can apply to our lives. We started the week in Alma 30, which Brother Griffin deemed "The Devil's Doctrine." It discussed Korihor and his methods--which are identical to Satan's--for leading us astray. He contrasted that with Alma 31, which instead shows us "The Dream Team" of missionaries--Ammon, Aaron, Omner, Amulek and Zeezrom. While Korihor is preaching wicked, false things, these five are out sharing the gospel.

One of my favorite parts of the lesson was Alma 32. Alma 32 has always been special to me because following its instructions is how I gained my testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. In verse 28, it says "Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me."

In these verses, we see a four-step process to testing doctrine. How can you know if a principle is right or wrong? How can you know if a new concept is righteous or wicked? This verse tells us the four things that a good seed will do: first, it will "swell" within you. It will feel strong, and powerful--a burning in the bosom type of thing. Second and thirdly, it will "enlarge [your] soul" and "enlighten [your] understanding." Things will be clearer and it will make sense. Finally, you will realize the value of it and it will become "delicious" to you. You'll be able to recognize how wonderful it is and it will feel right. Interestingly enough, these four steps together (swell, enlarge, enlighten, and delicious) spell the word "seed." Clever huh? Brother Griffin says it's a good way to remember it.

Finally, the principle I loved about this lesson was that in chapter 32, verse 40, Alma describes the fruit that comes from this tree as the fruit of the Tree of Life. We know from 1 Nephi 15:36 that the fruit from the tree of life is "most precious and most desirable above all other fruits; yea, and it is the greatest of all the gifts of God." Therefore, this doctrine about the seed of our testimony is actually teaching us how to grow our own Tree of Life! Alma 32 is giving us the steps we need to experiment, plant, and eventually grow a beautiful, everlasting Tree of Life within us--our testimonies.

Well, that's all for today. I'll be back next week. :)

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment